Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

I Be Thrift Shoppin': Pretty Little Haviland Teacup and Saucer

I saw this on the shelf and it was instant love.  I don't own a fine china set, but it's on my list of something to get when...well, when the timing is right, I guess.  I would love to have a set to pass down to my children.

I love china.  I love the patterns you can find.  I love the colors and the quaint details, like the delicate curvature of the handle, the pleating and ribbing on a plate or cup, and the fine detail work of the design.

Haviland is a pretty popular name in the world of fine china.  If you'd like to read up on the history of Haviland, you can check this out.  

I am not expert appraiser when it comes to pottery, glass, or porcelain pieces.  I have no idea if this is authentic or a knock off.  I cannot find anything online that is similar to this pattern, except for a candy dish on Etsy for $20.00.  That listing didn't have any information on the history of this pattern, either.  I have no idea if it's a newer pattern or an older one.



It has a lovely floral motif done with blue branches, mint green leaves, bright yellow, orange, and red flowers.  Both the plate and the cup each have 1 single butterfly.  There is "gold" on the rim each of the saucer and the teacup, and the handle on the teacup also has some "gold."  


Both the teacup and saucer are pretty symmetrical, from what I can tell.  And the design is very pretty and neat, not sloppy at all.  




Here's a look at the backmarks.  I found several examples of antique backmarks online, but didn't find this one exactly which makes me think it is either a very modern pattern (2001 or newer) or a knock-off.


This is one of my favorite details about this set - look at that dainty ribbing!  The saucer has the exact same ribbing to match.


In the picture above you can see the butterfly.  This will certainly be a display only piece.  It does have 1 little chip around the rim of the teacup, but that's OK.  I'm not a diehard collector.   I just like it for its pretties.  

I got this set for $4.

Dining Room Decorating Total to Date: $7



No comments:

Post a Comment