Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

From Ugly Ugly to Shabby Chic Pretty: White Paint Is Awesome

Anytime I use or hear the word "awesome," it is in the Legos theme song.  If you don't know what I'm talking about, just Google it.  You're welcome and I'm sorry.

Moving on...

White paint is awesome.  I have kids, so it is my least favorite color.  I see people decorating in a sort of monochromatic, all white scheme and I admire it to heaven and back.  No siree, not in my house.  Maybe when the kids are grown, but for now...oh lawdy...I think my 4-year old would take a stark white wall and turn it into a Crayola masterpiece.  Too bad decorating in all black would be creepy and dark.  Can I just chalkboard paint everything?  That sounds kid friendly.

I cannot do all white, at least not everywhere.  What is it about all white, anyways?  It's so simple.  It looks clean, crisp, and refreshing.  It seems to have the ability to draw out certain details and make them the star of the show.

My ugly "bless our home" sign is the perfect example.  I just posted about this a few days ago.  It was a $2  thrift store find.  The second I saw it I thought, "Wow, that is hideous."  But then right after that thought, an even better one came in to mind: "That would look perfect with a coat of solid white paint!"

So I took home that ugly $2 sign and bought a $4 can of Krylon Fusion white satin spray paint.  No sanding or priming needed.  Thank you, Krylon.

Several rounds of thin coats and 30 minutes later, I do believe I like how it turned out.


Is this the most awesomely, amazing, brilliant upcycling you have ever seen?  Pfft.  Hardly.  

However, as simple as it is, I do hope it will inspire you to start looking at old, ugly items with new eyes.  Paint that ugly duckling and turn it into a swan.

By the way, this will be going in my dining room.  I plan to paint the walls in Glidden's Almost Aqua.  The stark white of the sign will really pop against the beautiful blue color.

Oh, and for the record, that $4 can of paint still has plenty left in it.  I think enough to do a mirror I found at a garage sale recently.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment